25 Helpful Addiction Recovery Quotes
Why do you think we share quotes across our social media networks, print on t-shirts, or hang on the wall?
Quotes appeal to us not because they are the most important words anyone has ever said, but because they are short messages that we can relate to, or expressions that resonate with us because of what we know, or feel, or are going through when we read them. Finding the right quote can offer hope because if someone else has said those words, and others are sharing it, then we know we are not alone in feeling what that quote expresses.
Quotes can provide inspiration when we need it. They can act as reminders that ignite a spark inside us. They are easy to remember or reference because they are generally short in length. They give us something to hang on to and repeat when we have those difficult moments. We can print out or copy favorite ones and place them where we see them every day to repeat. When we’re overwhelmed, a perfect quote can help us re-focus, or shift our perspective. Take a look at the list below of QUOTES other people have found to be useful as they work through their addiction recovery.
Quotes in regards to addiction – beginning RECOVERY:
- “Just because I feel afraid and vulnerable doesn’t change the fact that I am courageous.” unknown
- “If you have the courage to begin, you have the courage to succeed.” – unknown
- “I had to change. Or die.” – Betty Ford
- “You wake up every morning to fight the same demons that left you so tired the night before, and that, my love, is bravery.” – unknown
- “And I said to my body, softly. I want to be your friend. It took a long breath and replied, I have been waiting my whole life for this.” – Nayyirah Waheed
- “Drugs take you to Hell, disguised as Heaven.” – Donald Lyn Frost
- “H.O.P.E. – Hold on. Pain ends.” - unknown
- “If you have a bad thought about yourself, tell it to go to hell because that is exactly where it came from.” – Brigham Young
In regards to continuing RECOVERY:
- “In recovery..the good news is that your feelings come back…The bad news is that your feelings come back.” – unknown
- “Why would you do recover half-ass? You never took half a pill, drank half a drink, smoked half a join…Why do recovery any different?” – TMW & MLFMIMR
- “I understood myself only after I destroyed myself. And only in the process of fixing myself, did I know who I really was.” – unknown
- “Recovery is not for people who need it; it’s for people who want it.” – unknown
- “It’s not selfish to love yourself, take care of yourself, and to make your happiness a priority. It’s necessary.” – unknown
- “My recovery must come first so that everything I love in my life does not have to come last.” – unknown
- “I want to be known for my recovery, not my addiction.” – John
- “The lesson is that you can still make mistakes, and be forgiven.” – Robert Downey Jr.
- “It’s not that difficult to overcome these seemingly ghastly problems..what’s hard is to decide to do it.” – Robert Downey Jr.
- “All the times I didn’t relapse, it was not because the urges were weaker, but because I was stronger.”- unknown
- “Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.” – J.K. Rowling
- “My worst days in recovery are better than the best days in relapse.” – unknown
- “I would rather go through life clean, believing I’m an addict, than go through life “using”, trying to convince myself that I’m not.” – unknown
- “You survived the abuse. You’re going to survive the recovery.” – unknown
- “I never knew I was addicted, until I tried to stop.” – unknown
- “If we share our story with someone who responds with empathy and understanding, shame can’t survive.” – Brene Brown
- “Recovery is an acceptance that your life is in shambles and you have to change it.” – Jamie lee Curtis
At Moffitt Wellness Retreat, we know the value in having tools to help you in your recovery. We hope that you can find at least one quote in this list that resonates with you. And it may be a different quote today than what appeals to you tomorrow. When you’re feeling overwhelmed or torn in different directions, the right message can give you strength to deal with your struggles. Knowing others have had similar experiences and succeeded can boost your morale when you’re feeling low, comfort you when you are feeling uncertain or alone, and inspire you to continue on your road to recovery.
Do you have a favorite quote that has helped you or a loved one? If so, please share in our comments below.
If you and/or a loved one are searching for support from addiction or simply need guidance in discovering the benefits and importance of healthy living, now is a good time to connect with the counselors at Moffitt Wellness Retreat, our addiction recovery center.